Saturday, April 4, 2015

Week 9: The Ultimate Top Ten List

The idea of crowd-sourcing a top ten list of resources for us to have before our departure to South Africa is brilliant. No single movie or article is going to give us enough context on the nation's past, present and future, but aggregating a spectrum of things to look into is a step in the right direction.

I'm familiar with most of what's on the list, but "'Winnie' fails to capture the essence of Mrs. Mandela" and "Cape Town: Gangs, Race and Poverty 20 years after Apartheid" are new to me. That goes to show there's always something to be learned. I encourage everyone to use Twitter to keep up with South African news! I know Twitter has a bad reputation for being a soapbox social platform (aren't they all?) where people rant about stuff that no one cares about, but the news aspect of it is All UT-Austin journalists are required (or strongly recommended) to create a public Twitter account at one point during our four years here and use it as a professional platform. Follow me @LarisaManescu, y'all! Promise that I share interesting content, and it'll probably become more and more related to South Africa as our trip nears. 

Now that we're well-read, I'm ready to land in Capetown and live it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you! All were pretty much familiar to me except for the LGBTQ issues that South Africa faces.

    ReplyDelete